Baruipur College

Baruipur College

Affiliated to University of Calcutta

Welcome to Baruipur College

The setting up of an institution of higher learning in Baruipur began as early as 1954, when intellectuals and leaders commenced working towards the realization of a dream. Overcoming obstacles and opposition, the college received its affiliation from the University of Calcutta and the Government of West Bengal on 19.09.1981. The foundation stone was laid down and a single-storied structure was constructed on the college land (got as donation from some benevolent people of Purandarpur) to bring higher education to the interiors of rural Bengal. This was the humble precursor to the institution as it stands today - now established as a centre for higher education for students from the group of towns and villages that constitute South 24-Parganas. A regular Governing Body has been in place since 1983, when the Preparatory Committee ceased to function, in conformity with the guidelines of the W. B. College Service Commission. The college is open to students irrespective of caste, creed or religion and merit is the only requirement for admission. The college offers competent infrastructural facilities, within its limits, and has well stocked and modern library. 72% students passed the B. A. Examination in 1983 and, over the years, this figure is steadily making its way to the cent percent mark. The college timings are from 10:30 am until 5:00 pm.

Principal's Message

Baruipur College is a co-educational college situated in the district town Baruipur of South 24-Parganas of the West Bengal. Most of the students come from the family of first or second generation learners, economically backward and minority class. Academic improvement and curricular development of the college are to be judged form this socio-economic background.

Dr. Chanchal Kumar Mandal
Principal