About the Library
Our college has a well maintained and modern library that was started with the establishment of the college in 1981 in order to cater information and services for academic and research needs of the students, teachers and other staff members.
The college is proud of its library which comprises with Central Library and Seminar Libraries for honours departments. At beginning, the library was located in the ground floor with one small room at the ground floor of the main building. However, with the passage of time, as the number of books increased and the library needed more space and it has been shifted to the first floor of college.
The library is now spread over 2500 sq. feet and decorated with spacious shelving area, two reading rooms (one for students and one for teachers), one e-library section and two rooms allotted for Seminar Libraries. The sitting capacity of students' reading room is 60 readers and teachers' reading room is 10 readers. The library is 'close access' for the students but 'open access' for the teachers. The whole library is secured with the CCTV surveillance.
Our library has as many as 15000 books including 110 reference books and 34 brail books. It provides the opportunity to access both the national and international journals, CD/DVDs, magazines and news papers. Apart from that, there is Shyamal Banerjee Memorial Collection containing 70 books and Rakhal Chandra Ghosh Smriti Collection containing 150 books.
Our library is partially automated using Integrated Library Management System (ILMS), Koha, version 3.16.04 on Ubuntu 12.04 customized by Bengal Library Association. As of now the Online Catalogue (OPAC) is available to the users. The library will soon implement computerized acquisition and circulation system.
Swapan Kumar Bera, (Gold Medalist),
MLISc, M.Sc, M.Phil, Librarian
Md. Abid Hossain Akhan,
Sri Abhishek Bhattacharyya,
M.A, BLISc, Casual Library Clerk
VISSION OF THE LIBRARY
1. To protect the users right of Information.
2. To accelerate reading habits among the readers.
3. To create the best citizen for nation building.
4. To provide intellectual and managerial leadership to the various fields of Govt.,Industry, health, Law, Defense, Education, Agriculture etc.
5. To act as a students' workshop.
a) Monday to Friday : 10.30 am to 5.00 pm
b) Saturday : 10.30 am to 2.15 pm
The library has a total collection of more than 15000 printed volumes including textbooks and reference tools. The collections of books is organized and arranged in the shelves . The details of the collection are mentioned below:
Textbooks / General Collection: The largest collection in the library, this includes textbooks books in accordance with academic curricula and is suitable for reading and research.
Reference Materials: While most books are available for loaning, this section has conventional reference tools, encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesaurus, handbooks, manuals, directories, yearbooks, etc. for ready reference and general information. Periodicals and books on career development are also available. Subject to copyright regulations, the reference material can be photocopied.
Journals and Magazines: National and international research journals with academic and research orientation; magazines of subjective value and general interests are also subscribed by the Library. Besides this, library subscribes to daily newspapers including Bengali languages.
Syllabus & Question Papers: Syllabus of programme offered at the institute and question papers of previous exams are also available for consultation.
Electronic Resources: Library has established access to a large number of online electronic information resources, such as e-journals, e-books, and various open source bibliographic collections for research purpose.
Non-book Materials: Non-book materials, CDs/DVDs, cassettes, etc. are available for reference use only.
Learning Resources at a Glance
LIBRARY SERVICES & FACILITIES
1.Reference Services: There are three main types of reference assistance; firstly, assistance or instruction in the use of the library, including location of materials, use of the library catalogue, use of ICT (Information & Communication Technology) to access information, and the use of basic reference sources; secondly, assistance in identifying library materials needed to answer a question; finally, providing brief, factual answers to questions, such as addresses, statistics, phone numbers, etc. that can be quickly located.
2. Library Catalogue: Library catalogue helps the users to know the resources available in the library. All books and non-book materials available at the library are visible by author's name, collaborator's name, title, series and subject of the documents, etc.
3. Online Search Services: Online database searching and discovery service is available at the library. Library subscribes to N-LIST (National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content), an initiative of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) under the NME-ICT now funded by UGC, as college component under UGC INFONET Digital Library Consortium. Users will have access for the e-resources (6000+ e-journals and 1,35,000 e-books).
4. Reading Room Facility: Library provides a congenial atmosphere for reading. The college library has a reading room where users can read books, documents as well as newspapers. Books for reading room are available to users after filling up “Reading Room Slip” properly and providing the Reading Room Card at the same time.
5. Circulation Services: Users can borrow their required book(s) and other library materials for home use.
6. Purchase Requests: Faculty members as well as students are encouraged to suggest new books for additions to the Library.
7. Current Awareness Service: New acquisitions of books are displayed at 'New Arrival's display shelf. Notices, announcements and information on seminars, workshop, etc. are displayed at the notice board located inside the Library.
8. Reprographic Services: Users can avail photocopy facility, scanning facility, etc. at the Library. Photocopy facilities are permitted only for library materials.
9. Library Instruction: Library professionals provide helpful assistance to know the library resources and sources of information.
All categories of members are entitled to borrow books from the Library.
1. The Library Membership Card gives borrowing privileges at the Library.
2. Reference books and materials are not available for checkout.
3. Any student can re-issue/renew his/her home-issued books for a maximum 2 times (14 days in a time) provided the home-issued book has not been demanded by other members of the library.
Members of the Library
- Faculty Members (TS):
- Permanent Teachers: The permanent full- time teachers will be allowed to borrow not more than 8 books for the period of 3 months.
- Full-time Contractual & Part-time Teachers: They will be allowed to borrow not more than 6 books for the period of 3 months.
- Guest Teachers: They can borrow not more than 2 books for the period of 2 months.
- Non-teaching Staff Members (NTS): All types of NTS will be allowed to borrow not more than 2 books for the period of 2 months.
- Regular Students:
- Honours students having Seminar Library will get 1 (one) book from the college library for a period of 14 days and additional books from their respective Seminar Library.
- Honours students without Seminar Library will get 2 (two) books for a period of 14 days from the college library.
- General students can borrow 1 (one) book for a period of 14 days from the college library.
- Plucked students will be allowed to avail the reading facilities only.
- Others who may be allowed by the College authority:
The Principal may allow at his/her own discretion the library reading facilities to outside scholars/students.
HOW TO GET BOOKS FROM THE LIBRARY:
- Selection of Books
Library catalogue: Card catalogue as well as OPAC can be used for checking particular titles by author's name, collaborator name, title, series and subject of the documents.
- Users will then have to submit requisition slip of the selected books at the circulation counter; books will be issued only from the circulation counter.
- Users will have to submit/show their respective Library Card.
- After verification and necessary documentation, books will be issued to the users.
The college library has a active Library Committee. Major functions of the Library Committee include:
- to advise the Librarian in formulating library policies and regulations which govern the functions of the library;
- to assess infrastructural facility in the library and updating the library collection as well as book selection;
- to work towards modernization and improvement of library and information services;
- to formulate policies and procedures for efficient use of library resources;
- to adopt measures to enhance usability of the library resource and services;
- to prepare budget and proposals for the development of the library;
- to recommend to the authorities the fees and other charges for the use of the library;
- to seek feedback on library functions from the users and analyze;
- to participate in the process of weeding out of the library collection with a view to removing those items, which are no longer useful to library users.
LIBRARY RULES & REGULATIONS
General Library Rules:
- Students are required to adhere to strict discipline, failure to do so or adoption of unfair practices may lead to confiscation of their cards or monetary fine or both.
- The Library is strictly a 'Silence & No Mobile Zone'. Smoking, eating, sleeping and talking are strictly prohibited in the Library.
- No work except reading, preparing notes or academic activities, will be allowed in the library reading room.
- Students will have to return all books and reading materials only to circulation staff; they should on no account put them back on the library racks. However, the newspaper should be kept back on the newspaper rack.
- Dog-earning the pages of a book, marking, underlining or writing with ink / pencil /permanent marker, tearing or taking out pages or otherwise damaging would constitute injury to the book. Any such injury to book is a serious offence. In case of injury to the book, the borrower will have to either replace the book or pay double the cost of the book.
- Students are advised to check the books at the time of issuing. On return, if the book is found tampered with or damaged or mutilated, the onus would be on the student, who had issued it last.
- In case of loss of a book by the borrower, he / she would have to replace the book with the same or latest edition. If replacement is not done within 15 days, the defaulter will be charged double the cost of the book.
- Eatables are strictly prohibited inside the library, and violation of the same will entail in losing the right to use the library.
- Students should put back the chairs in place when they finish their work in the library and co-operate to keep cleanliness in the library.
- Playing games, online chatting, browsing of dating and social networking sites are strictly prohibited in the entire Library premises.
- An opinion book is provided for recording any suggestion. Members are requested not to hesitate in consult the Librarian in case of any problem whatsoever.
- A feedback box has been installed in the library reading room for any grievances.
- Library Clearance Certificate: It is mandatory for every library member to collect his/her
- Library Clearance Certificate from the college library, at the end of his/her study/service by surrendering library cards, paying any accumulated library dues etc. Students appearing for University Examination have to procure a Library Clearance from Seminar Library as well as Central Library before filling up their Exam’s form. A Library Clearance Certificate will be issued to third year student on production of all library cards, fees books if he/she is not a member of library then he/she must bring all the fees books otherwise library clearance certificate will not be issued.
- Role of Head of the Department (HOD) having Seminar Library:
- Only HOD can receive books from the College Library on behalf of their respective Seminar Libraries and should take full responsibility of the books.
- Issuing books from Seminar Library is the total responsibility of the concerned HOD and he/she will responsible for issuing Seminar Library Clearance to Permanent, Contractual, Part-time, Guest teachers of his/her department as well as Honours Students.
- The following persons shall become members of the College Library by default
- All faculty members of the college
- All regular students and research scholars of the college
- All other regular employees (technical and administrative staff) of the college
- Every student would be issued with a 'Library Membership Card’. In case of loss of the same, duplicate lending card would be issued on payment of Rs. 50/= per card at the sole discretion of Principal. For issue of a duplicate/new card, a minimum of 24 hrs intimation is required.
- The loss of library card should be reported immediately in writing to the Principal/Librarian.
- Library card is not transferable. Members are not to share their e-resource access User ID and Password with other students.
- The Librarian reserves the right to suspend membership of any members found misbehaving or behaving in an indecent manner. The Library membership may be cancelled at the discretion of the Librarian for any illegal behaviour of a member.
- User would have to sign the 'User Register' while entering and departing from the Library.
- Library Card is must while visiting and using the Library.
- Library authorities are not responsible for loss of personal belongings / cash of the users.
- Users must carry their own pens to fill-in the register and other necessary work.
- Food or drinks is not allowed in the Library, however drinking water is available for the users at the corner of the reading room.
- A non-member can use the library materials in the Library premises with the permission of the Principal/Librarian.
- The user should maintain perfect order and discipline in the Library.
Rules regarding Borrowing Books:
- The borrowing of books from the library is restricted to registered members only.
- Members must come personally with their library cards at the circulation counter at the time of transaction.
- Reference books, journals (including old issues) and rare books will not be issued to students.
- Newspapers / magazines cannot be taken outside the library.
- The librarian may recall any book from any member at any time.
- Books may be reissued only when it is not reserved by any other user.
- Students could place an order for a book of their choice by recording the same in the requisition form provided with the Librarian.
- Users should not write upon, damage, or make any mark upon any book, journal or magazine, or other material belonging to the Library.
- Any reader observing a defect, or damage to any book or manuscript shall point out the same to the Librarian immediately.
- Borrowers must satisfy themselves about the physical condition of the book before borrowing. Otherwise they will be responsible for any damage at the time of returning.
- Defaulter members will not be allowed to borrow any library materials.
- No book shall be issued to loan, which librarian feels is not in a condition to be safely handled by the borrower.
Charges & Fines:
- In case of loss of the library lending card, a duplicate card will be issued for which the students would have to pay Rs, 50/- each. For issue of a duplicate/new card, a minimum of 24 hrs intimation is required
- Fine of Rs. 1/- per week per book after due date will be collected from defaulter students for overdue books.
- In case of injury to the book, the borrower would be required to either replace the book or pay double the cost of the book.
- Books lost would have to be compensated by either replacing the book/s or paying the purchase value of the book.
- Library is strictly a "No Mobile Zone". If found, the cell phone will be confiscated and disciplinary measure would be taken by the library authority
BEST PRACTICES OF THE LIBRARY:
- Library Committee: The committee members meet in regular intervals, wherein matters related to the development of the Library are discussed and finalized.
- Library Budget: The Library receives fund from the college budget and the committee guides to use the fund judiciously.
- Stock Verification Policy: Annual physical verification of books is done to sort out books that are damaged, outdated and need binding and repairing and books which are missing from the stack.
- Displaying New Arrivals: Selected new arrivals are displayed on the stand meant for the purpose, and a list of books that have been added are filed and maintained.
- User Feedback: Grievance / suggestion box has been kept at the Library and are timely addressed to receive grievance/suggestion from the users.
- Book Selection: Faculty members can recommend their required documents in prescribed form available in the library.
- Best Library User Awards: To motivate students for inculcating reading habits and to enforce proper use of Library resources and services, 'Best User Award' is awarded. Students are selected on the basis of following parameters:
- Access to the Library (attendance record)
- Transactions of books
- Maintenance of discipline
- General reading habits
Baruipur College Library, P.O.: Purandarpur Math, P.S: Baruipur, 24 Parganas (South), Pin-743610
( 033-24339566 / 033-24230447
:www.baruipurcollege.ac.in / Email:
Swapan Kumar Bera
Cell No: 8012087808/7003770584
Abid Hossain Akhan
Cell No: 8697068812
Cell No: 9477418139/7044267630